Friday, August 15, 2008

Good ole Religion

My mother's Buddhist and my Pop's a Jew, I was raised Buddhist but had a yarmulke as a kid. I don't know what the hell I am, and I'm quite content with that.

I tend to not believe in any of Man's version of God. I know there's something there, something we can't grasp, but not the daily sermons that's being shoved down our throats wherever we look.

I personally follow a loose path of maintaining good karma, and so far so good.

But the majority of mass-Joel Olsteen-type Christians back in the states? Sheer Hypocrisy. Ultimate form of do as I say but not as I do.

Well if everyone is saying but no one's doing, what will be the end result of the religion at the end game?

If the god people speak of allows a kid no older than 3 get his jaw blown off where his tongue is just loosely hanging out, and his left arm shot up to the point where its only the skin keeping his forearm attached....

Almost tempted to say that that's no deity that I wish to follow

Now don't go labeling me as an atheistic Christianity hating guy.

I always like chatting it up with my more religious guys here, and I like to ask the question:

God granted us free will. But god is omnipresent. He is the Alpha and Omega. He knows what you've done, what you're doing, and what you're going to do.

If he knows that, is there really free will? or just the illusion of free will?

According to your beliefs then, can we really be held accountable then, for our actions?

If he already knows what you're going to do, then how is it possible for us to be judged for our sins and/or whether or not we believed JC died for our sins and blah blah blah so that we can get into heaven.

Can the female suicide bomber who killed an Iraqi Army Captain a few months back be held accountable for her murder?

Her husband was our Number 1 bad guy, and we killed him, so she retaliated. According to her beliefs on Islam, she killed herself, no, martyred herself for God, Islam.

Islam, Judaism, Christianity. The same god. In the Koran it states, "We are all sons of Abraham" So we worship the same god. If the same just god knew she would do that, then can one really put the blame on her?

Oh and saying "Just have faith" when a question can't be answered by religion is a cop-out.

American mainstream Christianity seems more and more of a farce, a single serving, Sam's club sized, bowl of crap, that people eat down graciously so they can feel good about being self-righteous.

Oh, let's go build houses in S. America so and spread Christianity, and so I can feel good about myself. But let's honestly not give a real shit about changing the situation of the favellas. Let's still go on voting republican because they love jesus, even though the same country we just built the home in is getting ass-raped with no lube because of economic bullying by Washington.

(It's very weird how I start off pretty docile, only to get worked up and end up a wee bit pissed off.)

Ever now and then, when it just feels like the right moment, I'll bow my head and close my eyes and talk to god, or whomever. Because I do believe in something. But not what we've created.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elysia & my James' said...

I concur! There's something but I don't know what. Do unto others... that's my philosophy. What goes around comes around and the whole karma gig are much more realistic and plausible than donating 10% of my income to a big-business, I mean House of Worship, so that I can be a "Christian" in good standing. No thanks. I'll just take the karma...

8:39 AM  
Blogger khany said...

(061:002)
O ye who believe! Why say ye that which ye do not?
(061:003)
It is most hateful in the sight of Allah that ye say that which ye do not.

god is in deed omniscient. he knows what happened in the past, he knows the present and only he has certain knowledge of what will happen in the future. moreover, god has knowledge of what might hypothetically happen if some event were to happen, e.g. what you might have been doing right now if america had not invaded iraq.

just as god's knowledge of these hypothetical situations does not force those situations into 'being'. similarly his knowledge of what will happen does not force your choices.

so why does god choose to put us through trial if he knows how we will act? it is because he is just and merciful. so that he can make evident to us and to everybody else the choices we made. so when we are held accountable on the day of judgment we may not say: "if i were given a chance i would have done otherwise".

even so many will make claims on that day
(006:027)
If thou couldst but see when they are confronted with the Fire! They will say: "Would that we were but sent back! Then would we not reject the signs of our Lord, but would be amongst those who believe!"

but even now they lie (as they had lied before)
(006:028)
Yea, in their own (eyes) will become manifest what before they concealed. But if they were returned, they would certainly relapse to the things they were forbidden, for they are indeed liars.

islam does not reward killing oneself. suicide is a major sin. however, islam does glorify sacrificing one's life in the pursuit of justice. are "human bombs" (suicide attacks) against military targets justified as a last resort when one is fighting an enemy who is much better equipped? the scholars are fairly split on this matter. some considering the act an ultimate sacrifice while others vehemently condemn it.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home